Experience, Cost and Results Matter
Anyone charged with a criminal offence under the Criminal Code of Canada or one of the various Provincial offence charges should be meticulous and diligent when selecting a lawyer. Failure to hire the right lawyer can result in extraordinary penalties, including extended imprisonment and significant fines.
Years of experience handling cases like yours, legal fees charged, and reputation for favorable results are all key factors in choosing the right lawyer to defend your case. Make sure the lawyer you hire to represent you is known for aggressively defending clients, successfully obtaining acquittals and withdrawals of criminal charges, and negotiating reasonable plea bargains.
Questions you should always ask when looking for a criminal defence lawyer are:
- How long have you practiced criminal law in this Province?
- Is your practice primarily focused on criminal defence?
- How many people have you represented with cases like mine?
- In how many cases like mine have you achieved favourable results?
- Will you personally handle my case or will someone else in your office work on it?
- How much will you charge to represent me?
- Do you offer payment plans?
- How long does it usually take to defend a case like this one?
How Do I Find a Good Defence Lawyer?
Professional reputation as well as feeling comfortable with a lawyer should be the primary factors one looks at when selecting a lawyer to defend your criminal case. One of the best ways to identify a lawyer with a strong reputation for getting favorable results is to ask your network, including your social media network, for referrals. The best referral source is someone who has been in a similar situation and had a successful case outcome. Another way to find the right lawyer for your case is through Internet research. Membership and participation in credible professional associations, including the Defence Counsel Association of Ottawa, is also a good indicator of solid reputation as a criminal lawyer.
Personal Qualities of a Criminal Defence Lawyer Are Also Important
Great criminal defence lawyers have a solid knowledge of the Criminal Code of Canada, understand the nuances of the local court system, and are familiar with the likely approaches and strategies of the Crown prosecutors. Additionally, the best defence lawyers possess the following qualities:
- Ability to explain case options in plain language
- Willingness to challenge authority
- Problem solving skills
- Passion for justice
By hiring lawyers possessing these personal qualities, you are more likely to obtain a successful outcome in your criminal case.
Ottawa Criminal Defence Firm Engel & Associates Defends Against Even The Most Complicated Charges
Criminal lawyers Bruce Engel and Elena Davies have represented individuals and businesses charged with hundreds of different offences throughout Canada for more than two decades. From the start of a criminal investigation to the close of a trial, we will take a balanced and forceful approach to your defence. We have the experience and know-how to effectively navigate the constantly changing justice system in Canada.
This website has been prepared by Engel & Associates for informational purposes only and does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.
- “Failure to hire the right lawyer can result in extraordinary penalties.”
- “Make sure the lawyer you hire is known for aggressively defending clients, successfully obtaining acquittals and withdrawals of criminal charges, and negotiating reasonable plea bargains.”
- “The best referral source is someone who has been in a similar situation and had a successful case outcome.”